Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Iowa Plants:Beard Tongue

That name sounds strange; but it has to do with the fact that often these plants will modify one of their stamens so that it looks like a hairy tongue.

flowers, nest, Pete adopt-i-versary 028 

Don’t like that name? There are other common names. My favorite is probably “pride-of-the-mountain”.

flowers, nest, Pete adopt-i-versary 038

I never noticed that spider when I was there…

flowers, nest, Pete adopt-i-versary 034

I’m thinking, because of the size of the blossoms…

flowers, nest, Pete adopt-i-versary 043

and our location (SW Iowa), that this species of beard tongue is “P. cobea Nutt. – cobea penstemon”. (Quoted from Wildflowers of Iowa Woodlands)

flowers, nest, Pete adopt-i-versary 031

They are about a 20 minute walk (one way)from my door. They are so gorgeous! I’m finally starting to learn more of the names of wild plants around here, and will try to do more posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment