Search This Blog

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Wild Mulberries

I gathered over 4 cups from our backyard the other day. I had been reading in a cookbook where they used dried mulberries, and was intrigued. I may not use either of the recipes; but I wanted to dry some mulberries.

Wash

mulberries,nature walk,oakridge 002

Make sure to give them some time to soak. Mine had a lot of tiny bugs in them!

Dry

mulberries,nature walk,oakridge 005

Adjust your oven racks so that they are a little higher up, but evenly spaced.

Preheat your oven to its lowest setting; and spread your berries in an even layer over cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.

mulberries,nature walk,oakridge 012

Dry them with the oven door slightly ajar. This will take hours(maybe 4). I don’t know if it’s necessary, but you could rotate your pans from top to bottom shelf every hour or two.

After awhile your kitchen will start to smell wonderful! It reminded me of a black currant tea I used to drink.

When you’re happy with how they look, take them out and store them for 7-10 days, so that any remaining moisture can evenly distribute itself. (Or just eat them… :)

mulberries,nature walk,oakridge 018

Now I need to make something yummy. Maybe parfaits…

No comments:

Post a Comment