Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

West Africa: Meal #4

I based my dishes off of "Cooking the West African Way" by Bertha Vining Montgomery and Constance Nabwire.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I used roses from our garden.


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Coconut Crisps


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Jollof Rice

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Fruit Salad

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Recipe for Fruit Salad:

4 to 6 large, ripe mangoes

4 medium bananas

1 large tomato (optional)

1 c. cubed pineapple

juice from one medium lime

1 c. water

1/2 c. suger

1/2 c. shredded coconut for garnish

Note: I wanted to mention a few things here. I reduced the water to 3/4 c. and the sugar to 1/4 c. roughly. This salad already uses sweet fruit and doesn't need all of that extra sugar. Also, I used raw cane sugar. The crystals are larger and are the color of brown sugar. This a an excellent substitute for white sugar. It's so much better for you.

1. Wash and peel mangoes. Cut into bite-sized cubes. Peel and slice bananas. Cut tomato in half, remove the seeds by squeezing each half over the sink, and cut into cubes.

2. Combine mangoes, bananas, tomatoes, and pineapple in a large bowl and toss, being careful not to mash fruit.

3. In a small bowl, combine lime juice, 1 c. water, and sugar. Stir well.

4. Pour dressing over fruit, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Toss well before serving. Garnish with shredded coconut.

This salad is sooo good! I enjoyed everything in this meal. I'm not sure where I'm going next. Maybe Malta?

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Everything looks delicious. :) And again, great photos.

    ReplyDelete